Once you determine a potential sponsor for your project, you’ll want to develop a plan to be sure you are on track for proposal submission by the sponsor’s deadline. Even if you are not entirely certain you wish to submit the proposal, please notify your Office of Sponsored Projects Administrator and your departmental budget manager so each can make plans to assist you along the way.
In order to ensure a thorough timely review by OSP and proposal submission we recommend the following protocol:
- Once pursuing the proposal is likely:
- Start request ticket in OSP Portal
- Send RFP or funding announcement to OSP for review
- Once the proposal components are created:
- Send budget and budget justification to OSP for review
- Begin routing Internal Approval Sheet
- 3 Business Days Prior to Submission Deadline:
- Submit final proposal in portal ticket for review and submission per OP 70.01. Three days will allow any time to identify, and make, any necessary changes.
Note: The final proposal consists of a signed Internal Approval Sheet and all components of the proposal in the final format that will be submitted to the sponsor.
To request an exception to the OP 70.01 (3-day rule), the PI should complete the Proposal Information Form at this link: https://msstate.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4U5lymHUijWcdzo as soon as it is apparent the 3-day mark will be missed.
Once the PI completes the form, it will automatically route to the ADR or Center Director that the PI selected on the form for approval by the ADR or Center Director who will then email the VPR for exception to the rule.
If the exception to submit is approved by the VPR, the secondary deadline for the final proposal to be released to OSP for submission and noted as such in the OSP Request Portal ticket is four (4) hours prior to the earliest of either 1) the agency deadline OR 2) 5:00 PM local time. That is, the latest secondary deadline possible is 1:00 PM on the sponsor due date. Final proposals released to OSP past the secondary deadline will not be submitted by OSP.