Pre-proposals (also referred to as informal proposals, letter proposals, mini-proposals, preliminary proposals, pre-applications, concept papers, or white papers) are brief descriptions of research plans, which may or may not include an estimate or brief budget.
A pre-proposal should be routed through OSP, along with an Internal Approval Sheet (IAS) in cases where:
- A detailed budget is submitted with the pre-proposal,
- MSU is committing cost share or matching on the project,
- The sponsor requires the Authorized Organizational Representative’s signature,
- The sponsor requires submission through a portal or system via which only OSP can submit, or
- Institutional certifications or assurances are required.